In this month’s episode, the podcast hosts discuss the American Rescue Plan, ASCE Report Card, and share an interview on microplastics
In this episode of Talking Under Water, One Water, One Podcast, hosts Lauren Del Ciello, Katie Johns and Bob Crossen discuss the latest coronavirus relief package — the American Rescue Plan — and its impact on the water industry. We’ll also dig into the results of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 2021 Infrastructure Report Card as pertains to water infrastructure.
Finally, the interview this month is with Rich “Raz” Razgaitis, co-founder and CEO for FloWater. Johns spoke with Razgaitis about microplastics and how the issue impacts all aspects of the water industry from consumer to municipality workers.
- Congress adopts $1.9 trillion stimulus, securing first major win for Biden
- EPA Action Notices Extend Lead & Copper Rule Revision Effective Date
- US House Passes Stimulus Bill, Includes Water Assistance
- ASCE Infrastructure Report Card: Drinking Water, Wastewater & Storm Water Grades
- Storm Water Earns ‘D’ on ASCE Report Card for America’s Infrastructure
- Cold open: (0:00)
- Host introduction: (0:28)
- American Rescue Plan Act effect on water industry: (1:45)
- An update on the status of the Lead & Copper Rule Revision: (4:46)
- ASCE Drinking Water & Wastewater Grade briefing: (6:09)
- ASCE Storm Water Grade briefing: (7:42)
- Unpacking the ASCE Report Card grades: (9:02)
- Introducing Rich “Raz” Razgaitis: (12:34)
- Defining microplastics in water: (13:17)
- Threats microplastics pose to humans and the environment: (14:23)
- The impact of microplastics on water, wastewater and storm water treatment: (18:30)
- Are regulations on the horizon for microplastics?: (20:50)
- Why banning single-use plastics doesn’t always work: (23:49)
- How tap water is a crucial element in solving the microplastics problem: (26:04)
- Microplastics regulations for wastewater and stormwater facilities?: (27:19)
- What can water industry professionals do to address microplastics: (29:02)
- Housekeeping: (35:03)
- End: (37:52)
Call for Nominations:
- Learn about WQP’s 2021 Industry Icon & Young Professionals: www.wqpmag.com/faces-industry-2021
- The Scranton Gillette Communications Water Group, which includes Water & Wastes Digest and Storm Water Solutions, is bringing a Water Pavillion to The Utility Expo Sept. 28 to 30, 2021 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Look out for a call for abstracts soon.
- SWS, WWD & WQP are partnering once again with Global Water Works to bring you a new webinar series. The second part of the series will take place March 30 at 1 p.m. CT and will discuss approaches to help utilities accelerate resilience. You can register at bit.ly/GWWSeries2
About the Podcast
Talking Under Water is the premier podcast for the water industry, including municipal and industrial water and wastewater, residential water treatment, storm water management and erosion control. It is produced in coordination between Water & Wastes Digest (WWD), Water Quality Products (WQP) and Storm Water Solutions (SWS). The podcast covers topics under the One Water movement including the municipal and industrial water and wastewater, point of use, point of entry, residential, storm water and erosion control markets. Talking Under Water highlights news, trends, new technologies, industry discussions and on-site interviews with experts for WWD, WQP and SWS. Logo Images: Anatoly Tiplyashin / Romolo Tavani / stock.adobe.com.
Contact the Talking Under Water podcast editors by emailing [email protected] or engaging with them on Twitter @TUWpodcast. Join the conversation by commenting or using the hashtag #talkingunderwaterpod on social media.